POST SURGICAL TREATMENT
His treatment literally turned my life around
from struggling to walk & facing surgery, to back out running, training and a normal pain free life.
TREATMENT POST SURGERY
GENTLE TREATMENTOpen or Close
Gentle osteopathic examination & treatment from David, identifies these problems who works with you, to restore normal movement, comfortably & effectively.
David appreciates that in the acute stage, the wound is sore & exercises are very uncomfortable, even painful.
As the wound heals, you may expect to be able to exercise effectively, but scar tissue is less elastic than normal tissue & can prevent the body & your posture, from responding to your efforts, without appropriate treatment.
Research has shown that neurologically active scars can restrict back flexion, which the patient feels as low back pain.
This can be relieved by treatment of scars on the abdomen &/or below the symphysis (Kobesová, 2007)
TISSUE ADAPTATIONOpen or Close
Re Allowing the appropriate tissues to adapt are David's realistic treatment goals, this often nearly always clears up the problem and functional movement returns.
Appreciating that physical scar tissue, made of collagen is not directly changeable, in itself as a tissue.
He professionally treats to maximise mobility by minimising tissue scarring effects, including contractures in the muscles which develop after surgery & the associated changes in other tissues.
He will also aim to improve the capability of neighbouring joints so as to de-stress the joint which was operated on.
Lewit & Olsanska (2004) reported a series cases in which postsurgical scar tissue was found to be the primary pain generator for a multitude of locomotor system pain syndromes.
Active scars restrict movement & produce pain – relieved by treatment (Kobesová, 2007)
PRACTICAL APPROACHOpen or Close
David's hands-on approach, coupled with prescribed exercises allowing for a quick recovery.
*Optimise the person's functional status
*Promote Patient's whole Health
*Promote healing & recovery
FUNCTIONAL REHABILITATIONOpen or Close
Functional Rehabilitation, involves performing controlled movements in an area of dysfunction.
In such a manner that the improvements in strength, conditioning, posture & coordination directly improve the performance of movements.
So that an individual's activities of daily living are easier to perform.
NEROMUSCULAR REHABILITATIONOpen or Close
Rehabilitation sessions are tailor made to your requirements, enabling full recovery of movement, power & control.
• David provides optimal clinical management, integrating your motor & sensory function.
• Osteopathy is very much a joint effort between David & you, restoring better function & movement, further to alleviating pain.
• Treating patients with central nervous system damage, (stroke, MS, head injuries).
• If you have experienced a partial or full joint replacement, not to mention a broken bone due to a fall, sporting injury or accident at some point, recently or recurring.
TRIGGER POINT TREATMENTOpen or Close
• Surgical scars & tissues under tension frequently found after surgery & joint replacement, may also predispose a patient to the development of trigger points.
• Trigger points involve a self-perpetuating cycle, (pain leading to increased tone causing more pain), & will almost never deactivate, unless adequately treated.
• Myofascial trigger points can be inactivated by osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT), together with the other methods in Osteopathic Care, as well as needling (acupuncture), all of which is available with David.
'he is committed to his patients and his goal is to address issues as quickly as possible'
David will explain to you what treatment you'll need, how to speed up your recovery & when you can return to your regular activities & sports.
He may prescribe special exercises together with treatment to increase your joint mobility & performance.
Together with stretching your muscle groups accordingly, strengthening weak muscles, to restore muscle balance.
‘I am now walking and living pain free for the first time in 3 years’
In regard to pain, David takes a thorough history with consultation, guiding his examination. This determines for any individual the quality, duration & origin of this condition, how it uniquely affects you & how best to provide treatment.