There is no doubt that treatment is successful in alleviating pain.
As a professional Osteopath, David appreciates that patients may require support, to prevent relapse.
REHABILITATION - TREATMENT
NEUROMUSCULAR REHABILITATIONOpen or Close
REDUCING PHYSICAL STRESSOpen or Close
By using appropriate training modalities, to encourage/challenge the posture, nervous system & musculoskeletal system he can facilitate your;
• Body to become well balanced, for daily functional movement & more.
NERVOUS SYSTEM DAMAGEOpen or Close
Treating patients with central nervous system damage, (stroke, MS, head injuries).
Osteopathy is very much a joint effort between David & you, restoring better function & movement, further to alleviating pain.
FUNCTIONAL REHABILITATIONOpen or Close
Functional Rehabilitation involves performing controlled movements in an area of dysfunction, in such a manner that the improvements in strength, conditioning, posture & coordination directly improve the performance of movements so that an individual's activities of daily living are easier to perform.
Developing & providing specific exercise & functional activities, to support movement rehabilitation Preventative education, is integrated further too detailed understanding, using functional retraining.
EXERCISE ADVICEOpen or Close
CORE STABILITYOpen or Close
Core stability-exercises for multifidus & transverse abdominus
N.B. Abdominal Breathing very important
• After an episode of low back pain, up to 80% of patients suffer further episodes of pain within the following year
• Research indicates this is partly due to the muscles multifidus & transverse abdominus being inhibited (shutdown) as a reflex response to the original injury
• These muscles combine to support & stabilise the lower spine, & having being inhibited by the original injury, they often do not switch back on easily
• Multifidus is a series of small muscles, being part of the deepest layer of muscles running the length of your spine
• Transverse abdominus, is the deepest layer of the corset of muscles, that pass around your abdomen attaching to your spine, lower ribs & pelvis
• These 'inner unit' muscles contract fractions of a second prior to contraction of other muscles, used in normal daily activity, thus providing a stable muscular 'core'
PREVENTATIVE TRAININGOpen or Close
Stopping the problem before it happens.
The three phases needed to come up with a good pre-habilitation plan are:
- Understanding the risks of the activity itself
- Considering other specifics such as a sport player's position, techniques, history
Following these three steps, enables David to better predict & then develop specific training programs to prevent common injuries
These techniques are specific, and indeed person specific, as they highlight the predominant muscle movement patterns present in the individual. Prehabilitation helps you to:
▪ Achieve normal static & dynamic posture
▪ Correct muscle length imbalance, joint alignment & flexibility
▪ Normalise core stability (upper, lower & left vs right)
▪ Enhance muscle endurance
▪ Strength & power boosting movement pattern efficiency.
▪ Enhance proprioception, which is the ability for your mind to sense the position of different joints in relation to the rest of the body
Obviously, the approach for each person including sports & positions (eg defender vs attacker) within those sports will differ.
That's why it is important to seek David's professional advice, as he presents a biomechanical interest in your activities, to effectively help you.
'he is committed to his patients and his goal is to address issues as quickly as possible'
David will explain to you what treatment you'll need, how to speed up your recovery & when you can return to your regular activities & sports.
He may prescribe special exercises together with treatment to increase your joint mobility & performance.
Together with stretching your muscle groups accordingly, strengthening weak muscles, to restore muscle balance.
‘I am now walking and living pain free for the first time in 3 years’
In regard to pain, David takes a thorough history with consultation, guiding his examination. This determines for any individual the quality, duration & origin of this condition, how it uniquely affects you & how best to provide treatment.