Headache Pain Treatment
' he is committed to his patients
and his goal is to address issues as quickly as possible'
'Dear David, It is such a relief and I am so, so grateful for what you have done in such a short time'
Tension or strain in the muscles and joints of the neck & upper back, causing headaches.
David’s treatment provides, gentle massage to the tight muscles & manipulation to loosen the joints of the neck, thorax & back can relieve the build-up of muscular tension that may lead to headaches.
As an Osteopath David can also advise on exercise & lifestyle changes & offer guidance on simple changes to your posture when at work or driving which may help.
It is this way, many headache sufferers find their pain is helped, often completely relieved.
HEADACHE, (arising from the neck (cervicogenic) / migraine prevention)
OSTEOPATHY & ACUPUNCTUREOpen or Close
Many people who suffer quite severe headaches, accept their lot with little complaint & often do not consider the possibility, of treatment.
• Their suffering may not be inevitable, as there are a variety of treatments, that can reduce or eliminate headaches.
WHAT CAUSES A HEADACHE?Open or Close
The causes of headaches, are many & varied including muscle tension, migraine, sinus congestion, trauma, hypertension, pre-menstrual syndrome, & very rarely, tumours or meningitis.
• The vast majority are due to muscle tension or migraine.
• A 28-year study found that 90% of patients complaining of head pain, had either migraine or tension headaches or a combination of the two.
• The pain sensitive structures of the head are the scalp, arteries, muscles & mucous membranes of the sinuses, external & middle ear & the teeth.
• Interestingly the brain itself, has little or no sensitivity to pain.
MIGRAINEOpen or Close
What is a migraine headache?
Migraine is primarily a vascular headache, sometimes preceded by a phase where there may be visual or sensory disturbance. Often described as flashing lights or blurred vision. Research findings support the hypothesis that the prevalence of tension (MTrP’s) in neck muscles & hypomobility in the upper cervical facet joints are associated with migraines.
Kalichman Et al 2014
• Others may suffer from mood swings, nausea or just a feeling of 'strangeness'.
• The pain is generally one sided; pulsating or throbbing, usually made worse by movement and of an intensity which prevents normal activity.
• The onset of pain is often accompanied by nausea and sensitivity to light.
• Migraine is not fully understood, but certain patterns have been identified.
• Migraine occurs in about 8-12% of headache patients.
• It seems to occur more often in women than men, and many sufferers have a family history, of this type of headache.
• Certain triggers, have been identified.
• Foodstuffs such as chocolate, alcohol, caffeine & cheese have been linked as a causative factor, along with chemicals such as tyramine, found in beer, & monosodium glutamate along with sodium nitrate, which are found in many processed foods.
• The age for a person to suffer their first migraine headache, seems to be the 24 - 34 age group, but it can strike at any time.
Contact David on: 07973 297 438
TENSION HEADACHESOpen or Close
How does a tension headache, differ from migraine?
• Tension headaches, are usually bilateral (both sides) & they are usually preceded by emotionally stressful situations, or by prolonged postural strain such as with excessive VDU usage.
• The headache often only comes on after the stressful period, has actually passed.
• The pain is typically described as a constant, tight pressure at the front or back of the head like a tight hatband, which worsens as the day progresses. The pain of tension headaches varies in duration but can last for many days & often remains unchanged even with rest.
• The cause of the pain in this type is tightness, of the muscles of the neck & of the scalp itself.
SHOULD I CONSULT MY DOCTOROpen or Close
For any persistent head pain, that you are worried about;
• the doctor should be your first port of call, especially if your headache follows a blow to the head, or appears suddenly & severely with visual disturbances.
• David will examine you & may take your blood pressure, as hypertension (high blood pressure) is a possible cause of headaches.
• He may also indicate medication or in very rare cases send you for further investigation.
SELF HELPOpen or Close
Your headache may be 'triggered' by food allergies, in which case keeping a headache diary may help to isolate a possible food or chemical culprit.
• We have to bear in mind here the varying absorption speed, of different foods, that result in different reaction times.
• It will also be useful to your clinician, if you can give him as much information as possible, about the onset and duration of your headaches.
• Stress & emotional upset, are well known causes of headache.
• In this case relaxation techniques, or the identification of your personal stress factors will help. (Look for times when you 'catch yourself' clenching your fists or jaw, hunching your shoulders, or having a permanent frown).
HOW CAN OSTEOPATHY HELP?Open or Close
• Increased tensions in the musculoskeletal system, can be both a symptom and a cause of headaches.
• Tense muscles are known to release chemicals, that can be triggers for headaches & those of the head & neck, are particularly implicated.
• The main nerves of the head responsible for pain, are themselves closely related to the nerves that originate between the vertebrae of the neck.
• Persistent tightness of the muscles, of the neck, will ultimately lead to compression of the joints of the neck & so to dysfunction or increased degeneration & so pressure on these nerves.
Contact David on: 07973 297 438
General medicine has many successful medications particularly for the alleviation of the very severe pain of migraine.
'he is committed to his patients and his goal is to address issues as quickly as possible'
David will explain to you what treatment you'll need, how to speed up your recovery & when you can return to your regular activities & sports.
He may prescribe special exercises together with treatment to increase your joint mobility & performance.
Together with stretching your muscle groups accordingly, strengthening weak muscles, to restore muscle balance.
‘I am now walking and living pain free for the first time in 3 years’
In regard to pain, David takes a thorough history with consultation, guiding his examination. This determines for any individual the quality, duration & origin of this condition, how it uniquely affects you & how best to provide treatment.