OSTEOPATH VISIT INFORMATION
WHAT TO WEAROpen or Close
What to wear
To ensure a thorough detailed examination can be made, whilst maintaining your comfort;
• It would help if you could attend appointments, prepared for a physical examination of yourself, whilst wearing your underwear.
• Modesty towels are available, as requested.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS REQUIREDOpen or Close
How many treatments will I need?
• Every problem & patient are different & the number of treatments (as a plan), will be discussed during the first visit.
• The number of treatments needed, depends on your condition.
• If you have chronic low back pain for example, you may need several treatments.
• For acute pain, one or two treatments may be enough.
WHY SEEK TREATMENT?Open or Close
People do not just attend for pain & suffering.
• Many people attend because they want optimum health, wellbeing & they have little or no pain.
• People frequently feel, so well & alive after treatment, (see Testimonials), that they choose to receive treatment for this reason, or they see osteopathic treatment with David, to help them develop optimal health in life.
HEALTH INSURANCEOpen or Close
Osteopathy & Health Insurance
My clinics are registered with most major insurance companies.
If you would like your Osteopathic costs to be covered by your private health insurance, this must be clarified between yourself & your insurance company.
Please note any treatment, advice or services not reasonably covered by your policy will have to be met by yourself.
I am naturally able to provide treatments on a self funding basis.
TREATMENT COSTSOpen or Close
Prices for Consultation, Examination & Treatment
Initial 1 hour consultation is £45* Follow-up appointments are £45 for 40 minutes*
Cash or cheque payments are to be made at the time of your appointment.
Please note that credit / debit cards are not accepted at this time.
* Children follow up treatments £30 * Concessions are available as appropriate
* Please note 24 hours notice is required when cancelling an appointment or unfortunately the patient will have to be charged.
* Out of respect for other patients, you may be asked to reschedule your appointment, if you arrive more than 15 minutes late, as it may have to be cancelled.
If you make a booking within 24 hours of your appointment, you will still be liable for the cancellation fee, if you fail to arrive for your appointment.
SELF REFERRAL, MEDICAL REPORTSOpen or Close
Self Referral to an Osteopath
I receive referrals from G.P.'s & other health care professionals, however you can make an appointment directly, without needing to contact your family doctor.
We can also prepare Medical Reports at the request, for example, of your doctor or solicitor. These reports are charged separately.
Medical Legal Work
David as an Osteopath is trained to deal with trauma and often see victims of physical shock. Especially the type of cases that solicitors deal with, in terms of personal injury.
• Osteopaths treat conditions throughout the body ranging from neck, back & spinal problems but also peripheral joint conditions.
• In other words, all of the mechanical & structural problems of the body.
• This puts osteopaths in a unique position to help solicitors with the growing number of personal injury claims, as expert witnesses & offering rehabilitation to accidents/physical traumas.
• The osteopathic approach is geared towards the mechanics of the human body.
• As a practitioner David has particular skills; in taking a thorough & extensive medical history, using his highly developed sense of touch to identify points of weakness.
• This is often of special benefit to lawyers, handling whiplash & similar types of claim.
Working with solicitors & insurance companies to provide an excellent service at competitive prices.
David Gray has excellent facilities, where most of our patients can be seen on the same day, if necessary.
He contacts patients within 48 hours & will write up the initial & final assessment forms within 24 hours.
Delivering, a thorough & accurate analysis of the patients progression.
Off-work certificates, will be provided where appropriate.
GENERAL ADVICEOpen or Close
• Occasionally, you may feel some increased tenderness after treatment.
• This is not unusual & is a result of the changes, induced by treatment.
• Some people liken the feeling, to the effects of unaccustomed exercise.
If you are worried or would like any advice please do not hesitate to contact David.
In the mean time, see the following for some useful general tips.
• It's quite common & normal following osteopathic treatment, for a patient to feel sore / achy for a few days following treatment (similar to what you might experience after exercise).
• Some patients have an aggravation of symptoms but these usually settle down quickly.
These are very helpful reducing pain & assisting the inflammatory (healing) process. They are most effective when used as follows:
• In the first 24 hours after any injury, apply hourly for 5 minutes at a time.
• Subsequently apply for 15 minutes every 3 - 4 hours
• Never place the ice pack, directly on the skin.
• Cover the area to be treated with a thin cloth. Apply the cold pack (frozen peas, gel pack).
• If you have low back pain, avoid sitting for more than 20 minutes where possible.
• If sitting is unavoidable, use an upright chair.
• Use a cushion to raise your hips, a little above your knees.
• Stand up & move around every twenty minutes.
• Driving involves sitting & long journeys, should be broken up.
Lying down comfortably
• On your back with a pillow under your knees; or,
• On your side, knees bent with a pillow between them.
• Placing a duvet under your sheet, may make a hard bed more comfortable.
• A collar or rolled towel around your neck, may help relieve neck pain.
Easing Repetitive Motion
• Avoid repetitive movements, (reaching stretching & twisting, even for small items).
'he is committed to his patients and his goal is to address issues as quickly as possible'
David will explain to you what treatment you'll need, how to speed up your recovery & when you can return to your regular activities & sports.
He may prescribe special exercises together with treatment to increase your joint mobility & performance.
Together with stretching your muscle groups accordingly, strengthening weak muscles, to restore muscle balance.
‘I am now walking and living pain free for the first time in 3 years’
In regard to pain, David takes a thorough history with consultation, guiding his examination. This determines for any individual the quality, duration & origin of this condition, how it uniquely affects you & how best to provide treatment.